Monday, December 22, 2008

Listen up Jets, All I Want for Christmas is...

.... a win of course, but for a reason other than the obvious division title and playoff trip.



The story starts in the pre-season at my office in Wilkes-Barre, PA one fine summer morning when the usual coffee talk started about the Football. This day I happened to be talking to a Dolphins fan who was talking a lot of smack and how the Phins' were going to take care of business, win the division and just kick the Jets Butts.


You have to understand my laughter as thoughts of the disfunctional squad of rejects who finished the previous year with 1-15 danced in my head. On top of that, they just acquired Chad Pennington and we Brett Favre. I'm feeling good because we have acquired the QB god out of his so called retirement, and just like every other crazed fan, I went out and bought 1 of 10,000 jerserys sold that night with the announcement. I think Chad sold an even 10.


I let the kool-aide drinking fan go a little more, and then I challenged him! I told him to put his money where his mouth was but not in the way that is so typical.





The challenge is the following:



The Jets and Dolphins sqaure off the first game of the season, September 7th, and the last game of the season, December 28th, creating a "Book End" season. Whatever team SWEEPS the series, the loser has to purchase an authentic customized jersey with their last name on the back and the number of the jersey has to be double zeros ("00"). On top of this, the jersey must be hung on the wall of the cubicle for the entire 2009 season. Everytime there is a company dress down day, which includes the company picnic, the loser must wear the Jersey. If the series splits, the bet is off.



As you are aware, the Jets won the first game. If the Jets win this Sunday, I win the bet.

So, as much as it would pain me to see the Patriots OR the Dolphins win the division, the Jets can make this dedicated DIE-HARD Jets fan happy by winning this game and for the 2009 season. Jets, take care of your business, and let's root for Buffalo (so we can win the division) and/or root for the Jags to defeat the Ravens (so we can make the playoffs). Any other win after this is icing on the cake because you have many leaks in the defense and I don't see us going far in the post season.





Oh, and all you dolphins fans out there, if you do make it to the playoffs, please see the picture below. Keep drinking the Kool Aide!



If the Jets lose this game, and want to be ammused by my rants, follow me on Twitter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be clear, I was never bragging in the beginning of the season, but I was fine with the bet. I had that much confidence, and I did call 8-8 before the season started, so I am happy this year.

e Man said...

Right, that was your counterpart bragging. But you were feeling it, otherwise you woudn't have made the bet.