Saturday, March 07, 2009

We are the Champions, sort of...

Well, it has been MANY MANY years since the last time I have attended a cub scout pine wood derby race. The last race was probably in 1982 and I was a nine year old youngster running my own car.

Today, I broke that gap by attending with my son, David, six years of age. We designed the NY Jets car, as most of you know from my gazillion photo's of posts talking about it on facebook, twitter, and flickr.

Twenty nine cars were registered and the age group raged from six yrs old to twelve yrs old. The levels were Tigers, Bobcats, Wolves, and Weblo's in that order. They ran four heats with the winner of each competing to have a final three. Then they ran one heat per level and then all the 1st place winners raced each other to become the fourth spot in the final race of the day.

Well, here is how are car faired:

Race 1: Finished 2nd of 4
Race 2: Finished 3rd of 4
Race 3: Finished Dead Last
Race 4: Finished 2nd of 4

So, it was NOT looking good, and my son was basically ticked off and giving me a look like he wanted to tell me off! ;)

Race 5: (The Tiger Level Race) - We win 1st Place!
Race 6: (The right to go the championship) - We are one race from the superbowl. So how did we finish? DEAD LAST!

At the end of the day, my son walked away with a 1st place medal for the tiger heat. He came up short for the grand prize and the chance to go to Districts, but overall we had a great day.

I spent the entire car ride telling him after his disappointment that it's ok not to win, but he has to be a good loser. His response: I'm sick of winning all these Medals!, I want a trophy. I respond: 24 kids walked away with nothing, and he goes, oh... ok I'll take the medal. Man oh man, as a youngster, I was happy with a ribbon.

No comments: